Search
Vallée de la Bruche
Alsace - Massif des Vosges - France
Closed

The church and its frescoes

Home Cultural heritage The church and its frescoes
© OTVB

The ground floor of the Romanesque bell tower with twin bays constituted the choir of the medieval Saint-Jean-Baptiste church. Recently restored wall paintings include a coronation of the Virgin and several figures of saints. In 1777, Pastor Oberlin replaced the old nave with a space more in keeping with Protestant worship, the benches and galleries being distributed on three sides and centered towards the pulpit. The church of Fouday is especially linked to the personality of Pastor Jean Frédéric Oberlin, whose remains rest in the adjoining cemetery. On the iron cross which surmounts his grave, we read “Papa Oberlin”, testimony to the recognition of his parishioners for his social, educational and spiritual work. The entire site formed by the church and the cemetery is classified as a historic monument. See the map


Picture gallery